Monday, November 17, 2008

A New Adventure begins


I'm starting a new little human experiment, called FF Lab Rats (disclaimer no real rats are even used for this) I use to coach a few select runners one on one. Since opening the store I just haven't had the time or the energy. Well I decided it was time to jump back into it and I offered a few slots.

The amazing thing is that I had a bunch of people want in and they had no idea what it is I planned to do with them. All I said is that I would challenge them to run and train harder then they ever had using some crazy ideas that I will make up as I go. Yup they still wanted in. Some know me and some of the things I've done, others I think just wanted a challenge. I guess crazy attracts crazy.

I've got 7 signed up and a few more on the fence. I had to turn a few away. It will be a very diverse group. I made it very clear that talent is not what I was looking for, a willingness to suffer was required. I've got both men and women. Some have run some pretty quick times, some hope to in the future. Some are already in great shape, some (like me) need to get in shape.

It is going to be interesting. I don't follow any common training plans. I use heart rate as a guide and like to challenge my team to push beyond the point of discomfort. You know that point where it hurts so much that you just have to slow down? How do you know that the pain doesn't go away if you try to run even harder? You don't know so you might as well try it. Everyone that joined up will learn to push to that point. They will get in better physical shape but even more importantly they will build their minds to be stronger.

Over the next 12 or so weeks I'll write about some of the workouts that the crew is doing. It might be hill repeats at midnight or one of my favs that I call 10-2-10. That's a nasty one but it makes you strong.

Be sure to check back and next srping when a friend beats you easily at a 5k and you ask them how they did it. If the answer is "I'm a lab rat" you'll know what they mean.

Live FIT.

No comments: