Monday, June 8, 2009

I must be getting old

This weekend nearly killed me. I swear when I was younger this would have been a breeze but now, man it hurts.

We had 5 races to work over three days and this morning I woke up sore.

Friday 6/05/2009 9:30 am - 9:00 pm

Busy day in the store with packet pick up for two races and the East End mile at night. Had to work out on the floor most of the day as we were hopping with customers. Greg worked the race as I headed out to Mendon Ponds Park to run our trail course and lay out the markers for the race in the morning.

Saturday 6/06/2009 5:30 am - 1:00 pm and 3:30 pm - 9:00 pm

PowerBar Trail Race in the am. Help set up the finish area and then run the course to make sure the markers are still there. Ran the 4.5 mile race as it is the 11th year of this race I started and I had yet gotten to run it. Post race take it all down and head home at 1:00.

Back at the store at 3:30 to head out to Pittsford to set up the transition area and finish line area for the Pittsford triathlon. Nearly 360 registered so that's a lot of equipment to move and set up.

Greg spent the entire day timing the Empire State Cycling Championships at Powder Mills Park. He'll time day two all day Sunday at Seneca Park.

Sunday 6/07/2009 4:30 am - 3:00 pm

Pittsford Triathlon. Long day but a very well done race. This was our first year working with the town on their race and they did a great job. Timing went smooth, Ellen kept the athletes pumped announcing all day and a few of the Buffalo Bills raced. Long tough day but hey it's what we do.

Monday morning - Sore as hell. My shoulders hurt from carrying all the cones to mark the trail course. My back is tight from loading and unloading all the bike racks. My knee has been acting up on me and after these three days it is really screaming. On top of that my head has been pounding for 2 straight days.

As my grandmother always said, "It's hell getting old". Overall I've gotta be pleased though. We provided services to 4 races (1 run, 2 bike and 1 tri) and produced a 5th (run) all over three days. Everybody appears to have had a great time and was pleased with the job we did. At least we haven't received any pissed off emails yet today and those usually come pretty quick when someone isn't happy.

Both our store staff and race crews worked really hard this weekend. They should be proud of the job they did under a lot of pressure. Now we just all have to get some sleep.

1 comment:

Mary Eggers said...

Hey Boots...... topic request for you if you are interested in taking a request.

A lot of times casual runners and triathletes will ask me what shoe i reccommend for people with Plantar. While I tell them it isn't necessarily the shoe but more likley the runner (often times overtraining of course)..... that it is worth the time to come in to you guys for a stride analysis + shoe fitting + possible insole changes......

In your experience are there any patterns that you see over time with those who experience Plantar Fasc. With the obvious being improper training or not the prper foot strike.....

ie:

stability shoes vs. flats (I guess that's obvious)

othotics vs the superfeet insoles

that kind of stuff. I hope my question makes sense. Thanks for all these shoe updates, I pass them along to my team every time.

And Curt says HELLO!

:-) mary