Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Waterproof follow up

Ok - So a week or so ago I wrote about my issue with a pair of shoes that a rep had told me would be waterproof. Here's a follow up to that.

1. To be fair the company never promoted the shoes to be waterproof but to be water resistant. My issue was that the rep for the company had assured me that these would be waterproof, they just couldn't say they were as they hadn't applied for outside testing. That rep has left the company so in the future I'll know I'm getting the correct facts.

2. The National Sales Manager and I went back and forth for a few days about doing some further testing. I did a few different tests on my pair and reported back the findings. They then took pairs out of their stock to do testing on as they didn't like what they heard. He admitted that they were not as close to waterproof as they thought they should be. Still very water resistant but not water proof.

3. They sent me a new pair just to be sure my pair wasn't from a funky batch but after their testing we are pretty sure we know what the issue is.

4. K-Robb here at the shop has the same style and also did some testing for me with the same results.

The issue comes down to a bonding versus water resistance. Parts of the upper are bonded to other parts, that is they are glued not stiched. To do this the company had to reduce the amount of spray on water repelancy they used on those parts so the glue would stick. By doing this they made it possible for water to sneak in.

Bummer that they are not water proof but they are very water resistant and very comfy. 2 out of 3 aint bad. We make sure we are very clear with our customers that there is a difference between water proof and water resistant so they don't feel like I did when my feet got wet.

Now I had started off pretty pissed with this company (for a few different issues) but in the end I am really impressed with the amount of time they took to go over my concerns. They pulled product from their selves to do follow up testing. They had their product guys go back over it and figure out where the issues were. They did all this just because I wasn't pleased with my personal pair. That is a company that cares about their customers and their product. Not many of those left these days.

Live FIT.

No comments: