Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Battle of the base layers


It is that time of year where how you dress very much has an impact on how much you may enjoy your run. Underdress and you might freeze. Overdress and you'll be soaked.
One of the most important pieces to invest in is the base layer. This is the top that will go on first right against the skin (yes I know the ladies will have a bra on underneath). It can be no sleeve, short sleeve or long sleeve. It will work best if it fits a little snugger against the body. The job of the base layer is to move moisture off your body to the next layer so your temperature stays regulated. In simply terms you'll stay comfy.
I own and have used just about every possible option out there. Nike, Brooks, Asics, Pearl, Descente, UA, Falke, Craft and Helly Hansen. I'm sure there are plenty more in my closet but those pop into my head.
Out of all those there are two companies that I grab more often then any other. These are the only two companies I will wear while directing races in bad weather. While race directing I'll go from sweating like crazy to standing in one place. I need a great base layer to move the moisture off my body so I don't get cold.
So what are the two super base layers. Craft and Helly Hansen. Two old companies from very frigid parts of the world. These guys know how to stay warm when it gets cold. HH makes one of the coolest deep sea survival suits you'll ever see and Craft dominates in Nordic Skiing. Like i said they know staying warm in the cold.
We carry a few options from both companies but the staples are the Lifa Stripe Crew from Helly Hansen and the proZero Crew from Craft. Both fit snug and move moisture like crazy. The Craft has a longer fit to the torso so if you also bike or ski it is a great option as it won't come untucked.
At the recent Webster Turkey Trot all I wore was the Craft base layer, a 12 year old Pearl Izumi Windstopper fleece top and an Asics Storm Shelter Jacket. I could have done without the Asics as it never started to rain or snow. This is what I wore from 5:00 am until 2:00 pm. The temperature ranged from high 20's to high 30's. I was sweating a bunch while building the finish line and corral and was still comfortable while standing and cheering on the runners.
If you want to be comfortable during your winter runs check out these two great base layers. you won't be disappointed.
Live FIT

No comments: